The Medary monument was built in 1929 along the roadside of Brookings County Highway 77 to mark the former site of the town of Medary, South Dakota. Members of the John Kerr Chapter, NSDAR helped raise funds for the stone obelisk monument.

Named for Governor Samuel Medary of the Minnesota Territory, the town of Medary, South Dakota was founded in 1857 by the Dakota Land Company. Medary was one of the first three settlements in Dakota Territory, along with Flandreau and Sioux Falls. 

The town was burned just a year later in 1858 by the Santee Sioux Indian Tribe. The town was rebuilt in 1871, was the county seat of Brookings, South Dakota, and was occupied through 1879, when the buildings and townspeople moved to Brookings, South Dakota to support the new railroad.

The ownership of the Medary monument is currently unknown, but the county of Brookings is currently looking to take ownership of the monument.  The members of the newly renamed Medary Chapter, NSDAR are continuing to raise funds to help restore and maintain the monument.