The John Kerr Chapter NSDAR was chartered in 1921. While conducting research on the founding of the John Kerr Chapter NSDAR, we discovered that the organizing members originally selected Medary as our chapter name. The National Society rejected this name and indicated that the chapter name should have significance to the American Revolution. Thus, the chapter was named the John Kerr Chapter NSDAR after a prominent Brookings resident.

In 1928, chapter members voted to petition the name change from John Kerr Chapter NSDAR to Medary but were again unsuccessful. At the same meeting, the members of the John Kerr Chapter NSDAR committed to raising money to help build the Medary Monument that is located just outside of Brookings, South Dakota. The Medary Monument marks the first settlement of the Dakota Territory.

In 2015, the John Kerr Chapter NSDAR once again petitioned for the name change and was finally successful. The John Kerr Chapter NSDAR officially changed its name to the Medary Chapter NSDAR in October 2015. Chapter members continue to raise the funds to finance the restoration of the Medary monument that our founders worked so hard to establish to inform future generations of the historical significance of this site.

Medary Monument